Notes and Reflections on Books and Media
by Hannah Leitheiser
The Origins of Political Order: From Prehuman Times to the French Revolution
- Francis Fukuyama, The Origins of Political Order: From Prehuman Times to the French Revolution (2011)
Natural Origins of Politlcal Order:
(based on primate research)
=== pre-language ===
- humans socially arranged in bands, social heirachies within bands, team violence in raiding other bands (eg. groups of males taking another band's females).
- social organization fueld by kin selection, and returning favor-for-favor, insult-for-insult based on memory of an individuals past behavior.
=== post-language ===
- abstract thinking allows religion as motivation for rule-following, allowing greater trust for people not known personally.
- reputations can be transmitted